The Butler Trail Ecological Restoration is the Implementation Phase of the Urban Forestry Plan and Ecological Restoration Guidelines. The ecological restoration will focus on repairing and improving ecological function of the 199 acres of riparian forest and uplands around the Butler Trail at Lady Bird Lake in the highly urban area in downtown Austin.
This program incorporates the successes of our Healthy Trees for the Trail and Wildflower Diversification programs and takes them to the next, more strategic level.
A major component of the Restoration project is TTF’s relationship with Texas Conservation Corps (TxCC). TxCC is a non-profit that focuses on at-risk youth by providing the tools for future success through green job initiatives.
Other partners in the Restoration include the City of Austin (COA) Watershed Protection Department, COA Parks and Recreation, and COA PARD Forestry, who will contribute their areas of expertise to the goals of the restoration.
Primary Goals of the Ecological Restoration:
- Restore and enhance plant communities — manage native trees, understory, and groundcover to create diverse and aesthetically appealing plant communities that provide rich wildlife habitat.
- Repair and Improve ecological function — manage landscape to better absorb and clean water, regenerate native flora, filter air, create and stabilize soil, reduce urban temperatures, and provide shade.
- Enhance resiliency — manage landscape to adapt to and withstand drought, heavy use, climate change, and other major disturbances.
- Enhance the user experience — provide aesthetically pleasing, compelling, comfortable, and intricate natural surroundings.
- Facilitate stewardship — catalyze opportunities to appreciate, observe, and care for the natural environment as an ongoing part of people’s lives.
The goals will be achieved by addressing the prioritized tasks in each land management units, which include:
- restoration – planting and seeding to increase diversity
- invasive species management – removal of invasive species
- erosion control and soil restoration
- user experience – increased aesthetic appeal, improved access to the water, trail improvements, increased safety, or accessibility of information,
- tree care – improving the health of trees and reducing risk of damage from trees
Natural Area Management Units for the Butler Trail at Lady Bird Lake
Ecological Restoration Sponsors
Lakefront Sponsor ($50,000+)
Urban Forest Grant Program
Woodland Sponsor ($25,000+)
René and Ron Albee
Bridge Sponsor ($10,000+)
Creek Sponsors ($5,000+)